I Started a Substack and Here is What I Wish I Knew on Day One

I started my Substack exactly 10 days ago, and I am happy I did. It is a great platform for writers and for readers. But I knew everything about this app on my first day? Of course not! I am still new to to this platform, still learning how to use it and how actually people finding my posts. A week ago I didn’t know what a restack is or if this platform is the same as all others social medias.

Here are a few tips I wish someone had told me on day one.

  1. Write notes. Write every day. It could be a question, a picture of the day, a line from a book. Notes give people a chance to discover you.

  2. Engage with people. Read other posts and write comments.

  3. Don’t ask people to subscribe.

  4. Be yourself. Write in your own style.

  5. Keep writing.

Have you heard of Substack, or do you have an account? 
If you have, feel free to say hello. You can find me on Liuba’s Diary.

Comments

  1. I have heard of Substack. Have been interested in learning more...and perhaps switching from Wordpress as it is getting expensive. Trying to learn something new (and as confusing, to me, as Substack) has been a bit overwhelming. I'm old - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome to my blog, Jennifer! I only few weeks ago found out and substack actually brought me back to my this blog. I wasn't around for 9years (check my previous post). I completely understand! I found Substack confusing at first too, and I’m still learning. But once you start using it, little by little it begins to make sense. And you can even import your old blog posts into Substack. It is a great platform! Best wishes x

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Substack. Blogger takes enough of my time, between writing each day (but Sunday) and reading what my dear blogging friends write. I am happy to learn about it, though, and am pleased that you have found a place to encourage your writing!! Keep us posted!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a platform similar to old twitter because there can write long essays and articles. It made me to come back to my old blog actually.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I know of Substack because an old blogging buddy of mine started blogging there, so I followed her as a reader to her new location. Technically, I do have a Substack account myself, because I had to join in order to comment on hers. But I don't do anything else on Substack personally. I keep on with my original blogspot software no matter what new and shiny platforms come along (and there have been several over the years), basically because I'm too old and ornery to learn a whole new software platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Debra! And honestly, there’s something lovely about sticking with the blog you have had for years. Substack remembered me that I have Blogspot too and I’m not ready to give it up. I returned back after 9 years. Substack is just another little adventure for me at the moment! Thank you for visiting my blog! best wishes x

      Delete
  4. I'm not on Substack but those can be rules for blogging in general. I no longer write every day, but I do try to follow the other rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On substack you don't need to write every day. Twice per week is great. I falling in love with blogspot now. I returned back after 9 years. Lovely community here! Thank you for your kind comment! Liuba

      Delete
  5. ...I have hear of Subtack, but have enough on my plate at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely platform for now and I hope they won't bring reels there :))

      Delete
  6. Yes, I've heard of Substack. I don't spend any time there, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am kind of thankful that substack reminded me of my old blog. So lovely to be back actually. What a lovely community here! Liuba x

      Delete
  7. Hi Liuba, I have never used Twitter and am not interested in this. I had Facebook for decades but I permanently closed my account last year shortly after I started my new blog. The only social media I use is Blogger and am very happy 😊 with this. I am not interested in any other sites.
    I am really glad to see you back here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand you and this is wonderful when you are sticked to one nice place like blogging. So nice to be back and so glad I have found you! x

      Delete

Post a Comment