5 Reasons to Read More Books

 I love lying in a hammock with a good book and disappearing into another world for a while. I recently read that reading comes with so many benefits. So all those hours spent with a book aren't just enjoyable; they are actually good for us. 

Reading is good for your memory

When you read, you store all kinds of facts in your memory. But you also have to process, understand, and retain information. You are constantly remembering characters, places, little details and everything that happened a few chapters ago. So, in that way, reading is a great way to train your memory.

You develop your imagination

When you read, you form a picture of the characters and the situation you are reading about in your mind. That is a great way to develop your imagination and fantasy. You learn how to visualise situations and people in your thoughts.

You train your concentration

Reading a book takes a lot of concentration and focus. Otherwise, you can’t follow the story properly. The more you read, the more you train your concentration and the better it becomes. And that focus doesn’t stop when you close the book. It helps in everyday life too.

Good for insight into people

When you read a book, you often come across characters who are very different to you, with different backgrounds, from different countries or environments and in different situations. Reading can teach you about other cultures and show you how other people think, feel and live. So you learn to understand others better.

It’s relaxing

And this is probably my favourite part of all. Reading gives me a chance to slow down, switch off from everything going on around me and disappear into another world. It’s wonderful to forget everything around you and get sucked into the story. It’s a great way to escape the stresses of everyday life and really unwind.

What does reading give you?


Comments

  1. I also really enjoy reading books. I read a lot of different books, and I have to read a little every night before I fall asleep. I see you read a lot of different books too. I also really enjoy reading books. I read a lot of different things, and have to read a little every night before I fall asleep. I see you also read a lot of different books. I only read Norwegian books, because I'm not good enough in English to read English books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m the same. I have to read a little before bed too! It has become such a comforting part of my routine. Your English writing is very, very good, Marit! I read in English, Russian, Romanian and Lithuanian mostly in English because we live in UK and buying books from here. I cannot live without books. Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  2. Yes, good reasons, Liuba! I do love to read. I only read non-fiction, though. Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I am having many bookish friends here. Thank you for reading x

      Delete
  3. I used to be an absolutely voracious reader and I've been coasting on that "well-read" status for decades now, hahahahaha. I still read but nowhere near as much. It declined because of work and life obligations. Also, after a while, once I'd seen enough of actual real life, its good and bad, reading fiction lost a lot of urgency for me. I think I got kind of jaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write a lot, Debra which is similar or even better than reading. I love reading your articles. Best wishes x

      Delete
  4. ...if I were lying in a hammock, I would fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading. Right now I am reading two very good novels and starting both so close together was a mistake! I need to focus on book one and finish it and then go back to book two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read a few books at the same time :)) Now reading a book about Tchaikovsky, Just kids by Patti Smith and White Nights thinking to start.

      Delete
  6. I read a ton of books when I was a tween. It built up my vocabulary so much I had no problems with my SAT. (This is something I plan on telling the 7th graders I currently have the attention of.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me about my childhood. I was reading constantly

      Delete
  7. Those who read are lucky: they travel in their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! Thank you for sharing your wisdom

      Delete
  8. Reading is entertainment for me. I don't read to learn anything (though you do!). I just read to relax and enjoy a fun story. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Reading doesn’t always have to teach us something. Sometimes getting lost in a good story and simply enjoying it is more than enough.

      Delete
  9. Welcome back! Are you still learning Lithuanian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind welcome. Yes, I still learn Lithuanian.

      Delete
  10. Yes to all these! I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad we are on the same boat about reading :)

      Delete
  11. very insight post dear Liuba
    i totally agree about all the benefits we get from reading ,relaxing and pleasure is most important reasons for me either ,but learning about world ,people ,human psychology ,behaviour and situation is my most favourite part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see your feedback my dear friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment